From: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ian Davis
Sent: 14 June 2006 09:41
To: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org
Subject: RDFa reliance on namespace declaration

I'd like to highlight a likely problem with RDFa's use of qname-like
constructs in attribute values. I'm referring to CURIEs here but the
same applies to any binding between XML namespace declarations and text
content in the XML.

The problem lies with the coupling of the specific prefix used in the
namespace declaration with the prefix used in content. Any XML
processor, such as an XSLT stylesheet or a SAX pipeline, can change the
namespaces prefix arbitrarily thereby breaking the syntactic link
between the qname/CURIE used in the attribute and the namespace
declaration.

The breakage happens because the XML processor has no knowledge of the
semantics of particular text content in specific attributes.

So, passing the following through a stylesheet:

    xmlns:contact="http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3.0#">
     My name is
         Jo Smith

could very easily result in the following, with the consequent loss of
all embedded triples:

    xmlns:xyz="http://www.w3.org/2001/vcard-rdf/3.0#">
     My name is
         Jo Smith

As far as I can tell the only solutions are:

1) replace use of CURIEs in content with namespaced elements/attributes

2) replace namespace declaration mechanism with declarations based in
the actual content with semantics specified by RDFa

3) replace CURIEs in content with full URIs

4) change XML namespaces spec to somehow understand CURIEs/qnames in
content

I think 1 is unlikely given that we're working within the limits of DTD
and XSD validation

2 is the approach used by eRDF

3 would work for copy and paste at the expense of looking ugly, but I
don't believe visual impact is a requirement of RDFa?

4 seems difficult and would introduce yet another dependency for RDFa
adoption

Ian
--
http://purl.org/NET/iand
Blogging at... http://iandavis.com/blog

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.