RE: Beyond CURIEs

Misha/Mark,

I completely agree with Mark's suggestions, and have come to exactly the
same conclusions as he has. We are working on a new type of browser, called
Sidewinder, and a number of the features you describe, Mark, are being
prototyped there. However, in terms of proposing some kind of standard, I've
been saving these suggestions for another day! There are a number of reasons
why.

The first is that we fairly urgently need something very like QNames, but
*not* QNames. There are already a number of specifications using QNames
'incorrectly', so one aim of CURIEs was to simply give another name to
QNames. But in addition, the IPTC were using what they thought were 'QNames'
to express things like this:

  iptc:00223008

Now, QNames cannot have numbers in the local name part--they are XML element
and attribute names--which seems an odd restriction to place on a taxonomy.

The second set of reasons I've held off from proposing that CURIEs is
something more like Mark's work is that I would prefer to see a generic
solution for *all* attribute values, not just URIs. The squiggly brackets
are already used in this way in AVTs in XSLT and it seems natural to extend
this to other things. It's a discussion we have fairly often in the XForms
Working Group ;) but personally I'd prefer that it was a basic DOM thing,
rather than the preserve of any one language.

So to make this more concrete, your requirement for this:

could be solved by my more general requirement for this:

  <h1>My tasks</h1>

Which is not to say you shouldn't propose 'generated URIs' (far be it for me
to tell people what to do!!), especially if you think that these
abbreviations are needed outside of an attribute. But from my own point of
view I feel that CURIEs handles a small task reasonably well, and I'd like
to see a separate solution for the much more general problem of assigning
attribute values based on other parts of the DOM.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net