RE: [ALL] RDF/A Primer Version

>I hate to say this, but I think the URI identity issues that Alistair
>raised in email[3] after yesterday's teleconference are important enough
>to delay publication until they are either fixed or visibly marked as
>problems.  The WebArch document is clear that URI collisions[4] are A
>Bad Thing.  It would seem wrong to endorse such collisions, even
>implicitly.

I beg to differ.

[4] has a clear and explicit description (at
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#indirect-identification
) of a condition which seems to apply almost
perfectly to the situation which arises in RDF/A
and which Alistair deplores, and which is
correctly described as not constituting a URI
collision. Using the same name to refer both to a
thing, and to a piece of a document which itself
refers to the same thing, seems clearly to be an
example of indirect reference. As [4] says,
somewhat pithily," Identifiers are commonly used
in this way."

It is impossible, both practically and
theoretically, to completely avoid all ambiguity
in using referential names. Reference is not
access. While URLs must be unambiguous locators,
in the sense of resolving unambiguously to a
particular Web resource, referential names -
which is how URI references are used in RDF -
cannot possibly be specified so exactly as to
refer uniquely and unambiguously in all
circumstances. Even globally recognizable proper
names like "Mount Everest" do not have unique
referents in all possible circumstances, since
the exact referent depends on the ontological
framework being mutually assumed (Where is the
exact edge of a mountain? Are we talking about
people as agents or as medical cases? At a
particular time or as endurants? etc..) Under
these circumstances, to view every referential
ambiguity as a Bad Thing is about as useful as
trying to stamp out breathing.

Like words in human language, URIs can be safely
overloaded under conditions which allow possible
misunderstandings to be securely resolved by
their local context, without requiring
negotiation: and this need not even require that
the resolution be actually done, provided that
the necessary context - which is the case under
discussion, is likely to be the ontology
identified by the root URI of the RDF property -
can be accessed when required. In English we
safely use "bank" to refer to a side of a river,
a turning motion or a building, in part because
these meanings are so divergent that the
ambiguity can almost always be immediately
resolved by the immediate context. Similarly, an
email address can be safely used to refer to its
owner in part because almost anything that can be
coherently said about a person could not possibly
apply to an email account, and vice versa. Even
the use of a literal string in a context which
requires a reference to a named agent can be
interpreted as making sense, since it clearly
requires a coercion, and it would be natural to
use the string as a referring name. Whether or
not this is in some fundamental sense 'correct'
or 'proper' is not worth discussing: what matters
is only that a community of agents all agree to
use the same kind of coercion strategy when it is
required, which allows strings to be used to
refer to agents; and to the extent they do, then
they thereby become genuinely referring names.
This is how the world comes to use language, both
in the large and in the small
(http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5135495).

I suggest that if current real-world usage of a
metadata vocabulary seems to be causing no actual
operational problems, it might be better to study
this real-world usage carefully with a view to
learning something about how symbols actually are
being used on the Web, than to set out to take
great pains to improve it.

In the meantime, I also suggest that RDF/A might
usefully use the term "indirect identification"
to point out that subjects of RDF triples can
both be pieces of XML markup and also refer to
entities in the real world, and that this need
not be deplored as harmful ambiguity.

Pat Hayes

>David Booth
>
>[3] Identity issues raised by Alistair:
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2006Jan/0113.html
>[4] TAG's Web Architecture:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#URI-collision

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell