Plain and XML Literals

From: McBride, Brian <brian.mcbride@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:45:10 -0000
To: <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Reading the editors draft of the RDFa syntax document I noticed [1]

[[

4.4.1 Literal object resolution using the content attribute

The content attribute can be used to indicate a [plain literal] as
follows:

      property="dc:creator" content="Mark Birbeck" />

or, alternatively, using the content of the element (meta or other) as
an [XMLliteral]:

      property="dc:creator">Mark Birbeck</span>
]]

I note that these two examples generate different RDF triples because a
plain literal not the same as an XML literal (see [2]).  I wonder
whether in the case where the element content is text, the object of the
triple might be a plain literal, in which case the two examples above
will be equivalent.  Authors may find this more intuitive.

Brian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/syntax/#id0x015caba8
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-XMLLiteral