RE: CURIEs, xmlns and bandwidth

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 17:08 +0100, Misha Wolf wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> We fully intend to use GRDDL to convert the metadata in News Items
> to triples.  We've decided to use URIs (expressed as CURIEs) for
> *every* term drawn from a vocabulary.  As any individual News Item
> will employ many vocabularies, this will require many prefix->URI
> declarations.  And we can't afford the impact of using xmlns for
> this purpose.

You can just choose "well-known" prefixes and hard-code them
in your XSLT transformation. i.e. well-known to everybody
that uses your profile. Then they don't have to be declared
in each document.

>   Consider a broadcast stream of real-time headlines.
> Let's say that the text of each headline requires 50 bytes.  Let's
> also say that the story metadata (which needs to be carried with
> the headline to allow filtering by recipients) requires 20
> vocabularies and that each prefix declaration takes 50 bytes.  So
> having started with 50 bytes of text, we now end up broadcasting
> 21 * 50 bytes.  This is why we want to use XInclude to allow the
> prefix->URI declarations to be outside the headline object.  And
> XInclude can't be used for xmlns declarations.

Are you broadcasting the headlines in little XHTML documents?
Or in a custom XML vocabulary? Do you have some examples that
you're kicking around? Sorry if I'm asking you to
repeat yourself.

If you help me understand your target, I might be able to
flesh out what I'm suggesting.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E