Using @class to represent rdf:type [was RE: Drafts of CURIE note, RDF/A spec, and Examples]

Hi Ben,

@class doesn't only represent something in the stylesheet, it just happens
that this is the most common usage. A 'proper' usage of @class from an HTML
point of view would still be something like this:

The fact that I can add CSS styling based on this is obviously useful, and
over the years that has of course become the predominant purpose. But
despite that the microformat people have made use of @profile, and the GRDDL
people have made use of context, to read meaning into these @class values.
Despite the problems of trying to use @class this way when there are no
namespaces, it's clear that there is an increasing move towards using @class
in its 'proper' semantic sense (as Ian has himself been codifying).

It's also worth remembering that the early motivation for @role was because
@class had been 'polluted' by being used for styling, although I have to say
that people were a little scared of the alternative solution which was to
put QNames into @class and CSS. But since using QNames (or now CURIEs) in
@class is completely doable, then the only tricky bit we are left with as
far as I can see, is to choose one or other from the following:

   * We either turn *all* entries in @class into rdf:types, with a
     consequence that we end up with lots of extra triples;

   * we only turn *prefixed* entries in @class into rdf:types, which
     will mean that legacy stuff will just not feature in our triples.

Note though that even the first solution is not as bad as it sounds, since
the triples from our previous example of:

would actually be:

  _:div0 rdf:type biblio:Publication
  _:div0 rdf:type :book

The latter triple is there if you want to use it (a kind of 'localised' book
object), but is also easy to ignore since it doesn't have any 'global'
meaning.

Anyway, to come at it from another direction...there is an increasing use of
@class *anyway* to provide semantic information, but it suffers from a lack
of CURIEs. We should therefore consider what the contents of @class mean in
RDF/A, otherwise we risk requiring duplication of information. It certainly
feels like using it to provide typing information is a good use of it.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net