Re: CC use case

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:44:39 +0100
To: Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Ben Adida wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for this suggestion. Can you give more details as to why you
> don't advocate the first solution, apart from the difficulties we've
> had finding ways to do reification, of course.
>
> -Ben

Semantics is unclear.

The reification refers to the statement, i.e. the abstract relationship
between the document and a license.

The *same* abstract relationship maybe granted on different dates by
different people, creating a semantic nonsense when used with
reification. Reification does not allow be to talk about one instance of
this relationship without talking about all other identical instances of
the same relationship.

The RDF Semantics Rec is clear that reification semantics is confusing;
and IMO, best avoided.

Jeremy