RE: CURIEs vs. QNames

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:31:39 -0000
To: "'Norman Walsh'" <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: "'Laurent Le Meur'" <laurent.lemeur@afp.com>, "'Henry S. Thompson'" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Hi Norman,

> | With "cat" defined as "http://iptc.org/category/" (it's an example),
> | consider:  <iptc:subject code="cat:15000000" />
> |
> | "cat:15000000", after being expanded to
> | "http://iptc.org/category/15000000",
> | could unambiguously identify the concept "Sport".
>
> But wouldn't
>
>   <iptc:subject code="cat:sport" />
>
> mean that "cat:sport", after being expanded to
> "http://iptc.org/category/sport", could unambiguously
> identify the concept "Sport"?

Unfortunately that just defers the problem, since at some point, someone
will have an existing taxonomy that contains a code like:

  mycodes:117189

So even if the IPTC were to change *their* taxonomies to fit with your
suggestion, there will still come a point when they want to say something
like:

  mycodes:117189 owl:sameAs cat:sport .

(This *would be* N3, except it isn't, because N3 is another example of a
language that mandates QNames...which sort of makes the point that I've been
trying to argue; when a non-XML language like N3 restricts the way that
'abbreviated URIs' are formed, to that used in XML+Namespaces element and
attribute name formation, you know something has gone wrong!)

Regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck
CEO