a question concerning the HTML WD - XMLNS declaration in the root?

From: Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:05:00 -0400
Cc: 'public-rdf-in-xhtml task force'' <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>

Steven, Mark,

I meant to ask this question during today's telecon, and I forgot.

The Metainformation Attributes document says:

[[
Note that in order to reference relationship definitions via QName,
their namespace must be defined via an xmlns attribute on the root
element of the document
]]

Does the namespace really have to be declared in the root element of
the document? Can't it be declared in any other parent element? I'm
thinking particularly about the modularity issue, where one might not
be able to edit the head of a document in a templated system.

Let me be more precise. Shouldn't the following work:

=====
This document is licensed under a
<a rel="cc:license"
href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/"