Re: GRDDL in non-HTML XML - how, exactly? (svg/object)

On Saturday, March 26, 2005, 1:08:09 AM, Dan wrote:

DC> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 22:43 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
DC> [...]
>> In the mean time:

>>     <object data="svg/figxx.svg"
>>       type="image/svg+xml"
>>       height="525" width="640">

DC> OK, I seem to be winning now... maybe I was using src
DC> instead of data on the object element or something

DC>   http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec 1.65

DC> Hmm... giving width/height in the document is sort of a pain.

My understanding was that the HTML spec encourages this for the object
element. Its not required, though it may speed up progressive rendering.
Unfortunately pixels are the only units allowed in the HTML spec. ems
would make a lot more sense in many cases.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#h-13.7.1

The SVG will negotiate a rendering area to maintain the aspect ratio,
whether the HTML provided information to that negotiation or not:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/coords.html#Introduction

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead