Re: GRDDL in non-HTML XML - how, exactly?

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 20:33 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
[...]
> On Wednesday, March 23, 2005, 8:11:33 PM, Dan wrote:
> DC>    xmlns:data-view="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#"
> DC>
> DC> data-view:transformation="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/embeddedRDF.xsl"
>
> Ok so transformation, not interpreter.

yes... (we changed names in 1.53 of 2004/12/07 23:19:58).

I added several diagrams in 1.62.
 http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec

And in the process I thought of some better ways to explain
things, but I haven't updated the text yet.

Meanwhile, I wonder if the diagrams help?

> DC>  but you can disregard those diagnostics;
> DC> the resulting ,svgm.rdf has the right answer. (I hope we'll
> DC> upgrade the SVG namespace document to RDDL or the like soon.)
>
> Yes, good idea.

I have an example of using RDDL as a profile document...
see the "transformation applied to profile" figure.

It would work just as well as a namespace document.

I have a grokRDDL.xsl transformation...
 http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grokRDDL.xsl

but that's for one of the newer versions of RDDL, which
don't seem to have a critical mass of support, so I intend
to revert.

> DC> As Dom explained, an XSLT stylesheet is a representation of
> DC> an algorithm.
>
> An, yes - its not a list, or at least, only a very short one.

I think I see how you were mislead... the attribute takes
a list of URI refs; each one refers to an algorithm, which
should be represented in XSLT. Gotta work on that part
of the spec.

[...]
> DC> In the 2nd example, I see this bit of RDF:
>
> DC>         <rdf:Description>
> DC>           <!-- In case of a well-known Coordinate Reference System
> DC>                an 'Identifier' is enough to describe the CRS -->
> DC>           <crs:CoordinateReferenceSystem
> DC> svg:transform="rotate(-90) scale(100, 100)">
> DC>             <crs:Identifier>
>
> DC> That just says "there is a coordinate reference system." It doesn't
> DC> say what the relationship between that coordinate system and this
> DC> SVG file is.

Actually, I misread it... it's conventional to start properties
with lower-case letters, but CoordinateReferenceSystem is in
the syntactic position of a property there... so what it's saying
is "there is some thing (not named here) that is related
by the CoordinateReferenceSystem property to something whose
crs:Identifier is...".

> Suggestions on how to fix that?

It could be as simple as changing
    <rdf:Description>
    <rdf:Description rdf:about="">

so that it would be saying "this document is related
by the CoordinateReferenceSystem property to something whose
crs:Identifier is...".

>  Its supposed to say 'here is a
> coordinate system' and 'here is a projection' and 'this svg file
> represents a map in that coordinate system with that projection'. It
> seems we are missing the RDFese, or the GRDDLese, to make the third
> statement.

Right. RDFese.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E