Re: talking again

On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:19:08 +0200, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org> wrote:
> drafting notes:
>
> """XHTML2's RDF-based metadata syntax allows document authors to
> describe
> properties of many kinds of thing, including relationships to real world
> objects that don't have widely known Web identifiers (URIs). Often a
> document might mention something (eg. a person, place, ...) without the
> author having a convenient URI that identifies it. This makes it
> difficult for different parts of a document to describe the same thing,
> without unnecessary repetition. XHTML2's metadata syntax provides a
> mechanism that allows different pieces of metadata within one document
> to clearly identify the things they're referring to, even without URIs:
> the @@@ and @@@ attributes are used alongside the "rel" attribute to
> link together pieces of meta information within an XHTML2 document. They
> function very similarly to the "about" and "href" attributes, but use
> identifiers which are strictly local to the document; this avoids any
> confusion between temporary or ad-hoc identifiers and those which are
> intended to be long-lasting, world wide identifiers (ie. URIs)."""

I was thinking of wording along the lines of "Not all things that you want
to describe have URIs, or you may not know what the URI is, but
nonetheless want to record metadata about them. To this end there is a
notation for recording a local name for the object you want to talk about,
without comitting yourself to a particular URI."

Steven