Re: GRRDL & CSS

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:57:34 +0200
To: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org
Hi Danny,

Le jeu 26/08/2004 ŗ 09:34, Danny Ayers a ťcrit :
> I was just re-reading the GRDLL doc [1] when I realised it didn't say
> anything about using arbitrary CSS to express semantics within XHTML,
> for later extraction with XSLT.

That's indeed one of the nice features of GRDDL applied to XHTML; note
that I think it's better seen the other way around; that is, classes and
ids in XHTML are supposed to be used to add semantics on top of the
markup, rather than simply be hooks for CSS; see
""Use class with semantics in mind.
Think about why you want something to look a certain way, and not really
about how it should look. Looks can always change, but the reasons for
giving something a look stay the same.
""
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/goodclassnames

> This would lead me to think that in quite a few cases, where a company
> has in-house styling conventions, useful RDF/XML could be extracted
> from existing documents by leveraging the existing CSS.

Indeed.

(the latest version of GRDDL is at http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/ FWIW)

> [2] http://semtext.org/2004-02/index.htm

Dom