too complex?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:59:56 +0100
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
CC: "'public-rdf-in-xhtml task force''" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Mark

on my detailed read of section 4 I came away feeling that there were a
few too many rules. It felt that in the desire to have flexibility in
expression the other goal of some parsimony got lost.

I'm wondering if some of the rules can be removed, losing some of the
least useful power ...

e.g.

  how about:

     keeping the subject resolution rules
     having the object for @property determined by
           @content
           or ./(*|text())  (hmm want to keep PIs and comments too)
     having the object for @rel determined by
           @href
           or the subject of each child element (one triple per child)
           [subject of child element not resolved by reference to parent
element, if no @about or @nodeID then a gensym associated with child
element]

    for @rev subject and object of @rel are swapped.

     if [@content][not(@property)]
         then implicit @property='hasReferenceTo'
     if [@href][not(@rel)][not(@rev)]
         then implicit @rel='hasReferenceTo'

(although I would prefer the two implicit relations to be different)

Dropping the predicate inheritance rules.

Jeremy