Re: comments on nodeID in RDF/A

I agree that there is nothing illegal about using #node(a) as a nodeID
representation, but it does prevent the serialization of #node(a) as a
URIref, and leads to potential confusion. There has been lots of that on
this issue; people find it hard to recognise that blank nodes and URIref
nodes really are different. I think it would be fair to say that the
first RDF WG did not fully appreciate this. The RDF Semantics doc makes
this abundantly clear, but despite Pat Hayes' efforts that doc is for a
fairly limited readership; clear syntactic markers are a better way of
ensuring that the wider community appreciates that they are different,
even if not the subtleties of the difference.

I have much sympathy with the "I'm all out of attribute names at the
moment" point though ... I'll see if I cna understand what doesn't work
with my proposal (using embedded elements). The syntax for this
construct does not need to be easy, I doubt it will get much use; and if
it proves more useful than I imagine, a shortcut could be provided in a
XHTML 2.1. Partly will another attribute name be a greater or lesser
cognitive load (on the user who does not want to think about this
feature) than a variant on the syntax.

I suspect good editorial work could present the HTML 4 like aspects of
the overall solution, and then the RDF motivated aspects as 'advanced
features' in a way that the typical XHTML user only reads the first
section: everything they do is RDF compatible, and if occasionally they
copy/paste some code involving an advanced feature they may or may not
choose to RTFM in order to understand it.

Jeremy