Editorial Comment on RDF/A and XMLLiterals

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:41:43 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "'public-rdf-in-xhtml task force''" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Many (possible all) of the XMLLiteral examples in N-triples (variant)
are technically flawed, I suggest a simple change to section 2.2.1
introducing N-triples with QNames that could fix this.

An rdf:XMLLiteral is:
- a self contained XML fragment
- in exclusive canonical XML

"E = mc<sup>2</sup>"^^rdf:XMLLiteral is not intended as such but I
suspect, the sup is in the namespace http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2
in which case the N-triple form would be

"E = mc<sup xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2\">2</sup>"

Note that exclusive canonical XML requires use of " and not ', and then
N-triples escaping of " is \"

I suggest changing the last line of the last example in 2.2.1 to replace
<sup xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2\">
and adding a paragraph after this.
The above example illustrates a further simplication of N-triples
in this document. When the datatype is rdf:XMLLiteral, we omit the
requirements of exclusive canonical XML. In particular, we assume a
default namespace of http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2, and any further
steps required by exclusive XML canonicalization are also implicit.