Two further points on RDF/A - ancestors and qnames/URIs

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:20:33 +0000
To: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

I wrote a document about how to implement RDF/A, various approaches not
just XSLT - also how to merge RDF metadata into head and/or body of
XHTML2 doc.

It is here:

(sorry only in PDF)

I draw your attention to section 11, which raises two new? points, and
reiterates old issues. The new stuff is:

Another aspect of RDF/XML that some people find difficult is
to know when to use a qname and when to use a URI. This problem
is repeated in RDF/A, with predicates and datatypes expressed
by qnames, and subjects and objects with URIs. This might be a
mistake which could cause confusion.
A further problem was that adding structure to an XHTML document
by putting in container elements such as a <div> without
any RDF/A attributes may modify the meaning of RDF/A attributes
on the child elements. This could be avoided by changing the rules
for finding the subject for an RDF/A element without a about or
id to not just look at the parent node, but to search up the XML
tree until some ancestor node with an explicit object or subject is

On the last point, there is an example earlier (page 8 column 2) where
adding a <table> to  better structure the document content means that
the RDF/A markup stops working as naturally.

If just dipping into this version of this doc, note that it starts by
presupposing my proposed simplifications - I am expecting to have to
revise it at some point.