Re: customer feedback, please

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:35:14 -0600
To: Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>
Cc: RDF in XHTML task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, public-swbp-wg@w3.org

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 13:00, Ben Adida wrote:
> Greetings to both the TF and the WG,
>

> At Creative Commons, we need a solution for including RDF statements in
> HTML chunks (XHTML 1.0/2.0, non-compliant HTML, etc...). The two
> solutions presented have some attractive qualities, but they don't work
> for CC yet.
>
> For CC - and I believe for XHTML users in general - an RDF expression
> solution should have the following properties:
> 	(1) a chunk of HTML, independent of the HEAD or BODY tags, can include
> RDF statements.
> 	(2) whenever possible, RDF statements should be intimately tied to what
> a user sees in the visible portions of the XHTML.

Yes... that second one is what led me to GRDDL in the first place.

I'm struggling with the 1st requirement, though.

[...]
> So, here's something that would work:
>
> <!-- Begin Creative Commons License -->
> This document is licensed under a
> <a rel="http://web.resource.org/cc/rels/license"
> href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/1.0/">
> Creative Commons License
> </a>
> <!-- End Creative Commons License -->
>
> which would be translated to N3 notation as:
>
> <> <http://web.resource.org/cc/rels/license>
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/1.0/">
[...]

> Why can't we do this (or something similar)?

I dunno... is it sufficiently clear that *everybody*
who uses a URI as a link relationship name meant
the N3 triples that come out from that conversion?

I'm still thinking it over.

p.s.

> The GRDDL weakness is that it currently requires a HEAD profile, which
> is bad because:
> 	- HTML chunks can't contain CC licenses
> 	- there's only one possible profile for the whole page

I think multiple profiles work, but that's an issue... see
"How many profiles fit in the head of an HTML angel?"
  -- http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/specbg.html

I don't think it makes or breaks your point (1) above, though.

[...]

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?