Re: GRDDL Implementations: garner.py and demo CGI

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 07:40:05 -0500
To: danny666@virgilio.it
Cc: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean+rixt@infomesh.net>, RDF in XHTML task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 05:44, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Dan, Sean,
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't had time to pore over the source:
> Both glean.py and garner.py discover and apply a series of XSLTs to the
> source XHTML, reading the resultant RDF/XML into a triplestore/model.
> The merged model is then serialised out as RDF/XML.
>
> Can't the same result be achieved without the Redland/Pyrple dependency?

Almost...

> Isn't a purely syntactical merge possible - just top & tail ('deroot')
> the individual RDF/XML results, then glue them back into a common root.

Yes, that's how the first version of glean.py worked.

But more recent versions support "following your nose" thru
profile/namespace documents, GRDDLing those, and looking
for statements of the form
  profile dataview:profileTransformation ?XFORM.

so there's some non-trivial RDF-level processing going on. I thought
about doing that with XSLT, but then thought better of it.