Re: XFN on the GRDDL [was: Profiles attribute...]

On 1/17/04 12:08 AM, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 00:44, Dan Connolly wrote:
>> I'm mulling over this message, Karl...
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2004Jan/0005.html
>>
>> I applied this XMDP stuff
>>   http://gmpg.org/xmdp/
>> to the profile page...
>>   http://www.w3.org/2003/11/rdf-in-xhtml
>>
>> And then, of course, I went nutso and implemented
>>   http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grokXMDP.xsl
>>   grokXMDP.xsl,v 1.1 2004/01/17 06:24:07
>
> And only slightly less nutso, I did a grokXFN...
>
> http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grokXFN.xsl
> grokXFN.xsl,v 1.1 2004/01/17 08:01:25
>
> It takes the liberty of introducing a few foaf properties
> here and there... and it's got a few @@s. But meanwhile...
>
> Attached find the results of running it on Tantek's blog.
> http://tantek.com/log/2004/01.html

My first impression was that the results sure seemed quite lengthy!

But very interesting nonetheless.  Others have surmised that it would be
quite easy to represent XFN in RDF in addition to XHTML, and you have
demonstrated as much!

> ToDo: make Joe Lambda's homepage XFN friendly...

Looking forward to seeing it.  Should be easy enough.  Simply add the XFN
profile to the profile attribute in the head element, and add the
appropriate XFN values to the rel attributes of the hyperlinks to Joe
Lambda's friends.

> Tantek, XFN and XMDP are kinda cool...

Thanks! IMHO they were merely obvious incremental efforts based on HTML4.01
(with a little inspiration from last year's SXSW conference).

> if you find
> a few minutes, could you take a look at GRDDL? It's
> mercifully short... won't even make your
> scrollbar thumb too tiny...
> http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec

I took a quick look.

I think the premise of transforming/translating simple user authored meta
data formats to RDF is a very sensible one.  Simple user authored meta data
will tend to grow and spread rapidly on the Web because of its ease of use,
and the more meta data formats that it can be automatically
transformed/translated to, the better for everyone working on making the Web
more semantic.

Regards,

Tantek