Re: Validating XHTML with embedded RDF

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:43:25 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 18:28, Dan Brickley wrote:
>   (so when you say 'the rdf crowd don't want...', are you just noting
> that in context of dtds?)

I mean a consensus on behalf of that community has failed to materialize.

> > e. Create a new sort of XHTML1.* document using RNG that validates the
> > XHTML and RNG. This is the only thing *not* done by Mimasa <smile/>,
> > though I assume it could be done?
> Could a single online validation service handle this plus the previous
> two scenarios? Just one approach would be enough to allow people (at
> last) to deploy RDF-in-XHTML....

I'm not sure what you mean by "scenarios", I'd consider them "approaches",
but to enumerate how one might implement the validators for various

1. My experimental validator uses Sun's Multischema Validator to validate a
test Creative Commons page. This will go away at some point.

2. Now that I've learned about the most recent XSV update, the XSV validator
can also easily validate instances against the XHTML(valid)+RDF(lax)
schema. This is nice because we wouldn't have to set up or maintain any new
3. The more rigorous XHTML(valid)+RDF(valid) would need a Web Service
implemented on Jing. The latest Jing supports RNG, XML Schema (via a
Xerces-J wrapper), Schematron and NRL. This would give more power, but NRL
isn't mature yet (it's a proposal to a ISO Committee) and means that we
have to maintain it as a service.