Re: Validating XHTML with embedded RDF

On Saturday 21 June 2003 00:44, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> > If I understood
> > Sean's proposal in [a] it appearred possible to write a RDF-in-XHTML
> > DTD Modularization.
>
> Note that I was specifically talking about RDF/XML, as defined by
> the RDF/XML Syntax Specification.  It is apparent that the current
> RDF/XML syntax is not fully expressible by DTD nor XML Schema

Accepted.

> the RDF Core WG seems to have rejected the XML Schema WG's comments
> to develop a single canonical syntax which could be more XML Schema
> or DTD friendly [13] as "beyond the scope of RDF Core's current
> charter".

My sense in talking to RDF folks is that no new syntaxes (even restricted
profiles?) should be expected, but perhaps they could correct me.

> So, I see no chance to define a generic RDF/XML DTD, in
> which case there's no chance to define a generic RDF/XML-in-XHTML DTD.

Understood.

> That largely depends on the RDF Core WG.  The HTML WG can offer help
> to combine DTD modules, once an RDF DTD module becomes available.
> However, the HTML WG is not the right group to decide which sort of
> (restricted) serialization format for RDF is appropriate.  We need
> input from RDF folks.

Right, and it appears they have "postponed" the "canonical serialization"
issue:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003AprJun/0112.html

> Technically it is still possible to "use" character entities together
> with XML Schema or other schema languages, independent from a particular
> document type definition, as noted in "An XML Core WG View" [15].

Ah, I hadn't noticed that before. Did the HTML WG respond? The Core position
relies upon the presence of a DTD, "The existing mechanism, DTDs, is
entirely adequate to the purpose. " [15] Of course, if you don't want to
use a DTD, they don't address the issue.