Recommendation: re-raise entity issue

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:18:13 -0400
To: Steven Pemberton <steven@w3.org>
Cc: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, w3c-html-wg@w3.org

As you know, I've been chasing the thread of what exactly happened to the
"character entities without DTDs" issue as documented in [1]. When I asked
the XML Core WG about it recently, Paul Grosso responded "I am aware of no
currently open task on the XML Core WG's task list associated with XML 2.0.
There are therefore no associated dates." [2]

It's certainly a difficult technical issue, but I know sometimes the
emergent tendency is for the problem to become obfuscated in bureaucracy
rather than keeping it clearly identified as an open but difficult issue on
*some* plate somewhere that occasionally gets reconsidered or resourced. (I
like that about the TAG issues.) Consequently, the only thing I can
recommend in this case is to re-raise the issue with Core and ask that it
explicitly be added to [3] -- as an active or future task -- with an offer
to help when the time comes along.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/03/rdf-in-xml.html#sec-Deliverables
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2003Jul/0015
[3] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core