SPARQL Update Editorial issue/ SPARQL Grammar suggestion in the context of Update (LOAD INTO iri vs. LOAD INTO GRAPH iri)

From: Polleres, Axel <axel.polleres@siemens.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:51:31 +0200
To: "public-rdf-dawg@w3.org" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
but can't simply write
  DROP iri
  LOAD INTO iri

The student realized this, since we have some example in http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-update/#mappingRequestsToOperations in Table 1 where we forgot the GRAPH keyword...

Couldn't we make 'GRAPH' optional here, just as 'WHERE' is optional in WhereClause, i.e. change the GraphRef production

s/
 [46]  GraphRef  ::=  'GRAPH' iri
/
 [46]  GraphRef  ::=  'GRAPH'? iri
/

This would seem to be a minor, but handy change and still possible as long as we are still before LC publication for the grammar along with the Query document: I think making the GRAPH keyword OPTIONAL here would still be a minor enough change for Update to call it "editorial", since it doesn't invalidate anything from the LC version.

The implied changes would be:

 Query:

 Update:
   mark the GRAPH keyword optional in Section 3.1.4 LOAD, 3.1.5 CLEAR, 3.2.1 CREATE, 3.2.2 DROP

Please note that the GRAPH keyword is already optional in ADD, MOVE, COPY, cf.

   [45]  GraphOrDefault  ::=  'DEFAULT' | 'GRAPH'? Iri

So, I think this minor change would make the Update language more coherent, or would there be any problems with it?

Best regards,
Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres