Re: Graph store protocol editor's draft updated

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:34:24 -0500
To: Chimezie Ogbuji <chimezie@gmail.com>
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

>  - Removed Protocol service discovery section 5.8 (addressing issue of
> confusion regarding SPARQL protocol URL and that of a GSP
> implementation)
>  - Changed URL used to for indirect identification to reflect that it
> identifies a graph store (removed all references to 'service')

I wasn't expecting these changes together, like this.   Like this, it is
impossible for a client to construct an indirect graph IRIs, since (as
the spec says) the graph store IRI needs to be known "a priori".

I really liked indirect IRIs, and I think the Provenance WG was counting
on them, since they let folks use an IRI to talk about a graph in
SPARQL-land.  But now they don't do that any more.

I'd be okay with either:
  (1) putting 5.8 back
or
  (2) building the indirect IRIs off the endpoint address instead of the
graphstore address.   (I think this is the vastly preferable solution,
BTW, because it's just so simple, even if the modeling isn't quite as
elegant.)

    -- Sandro