Re: Comment on SPARQL 1.1 CSV Results

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 16:21:47 -0500
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>

On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:51 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Thank you for catching that.  I've added text to the editor's working draft, noting the fact and requiring the quoted empty string be used (your option 2).  This text will be considered by the working group when it next reviews the document for publication.
>
> I would be grateful if you would acknowledge that your comment has been answered by sending a reply to this mailing list.

Won't Rob's suggestion of requiring empty strings to be serialized as "" mean that implementations can't simply use a CSV library that decides when quoting is required? My reading of the CSV RFC suggests that an empty string, and "" are equivalent.

Similarly, the document says that "if a variable is not bound, an empty field is used, (e.g. ,,)" but I would hope that a quoted empty field would also be acceptable (e.g. ,"",). Is that correct?

thanks,
.greg