From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 08:26:04 +0100
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
A report and discussion [1] about SERVICE SILENT centres around the fact
that when the SERVICE calls fails, the effect of SILENT is to return a
single row of no variables.  Some people are finding this counter
intuitive, expecting no rows to be returned instead as if no matching

The failed SERVICE clause is treated as if it had a result of a single
solution with no bindings.

Is there a reason for this particular design?  I can't recall one and I
do find the expectation of no rows more logical.

I am guessing but may be the intention is that

    SERVICE <S> { ....} # SERVICE call fails in HTTP
    ?s ?p ?o

potentially returns something but now it will be an unconstrained
something from "?s ?p ?o".

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-261