RE: 'Counting Beyond a Yottabyte'

From: Polleres, Axel <axel.polleres@siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:36:54 +0200
To: "public-rdf-dawg@w3.org" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
After thinking about it for a while, I think it is not necessarily
a good idea to engage in a discussion on the blog:
let's please stick to the official channels, i.e. the comments
list, i.e. at max. respond per email, wirth cc: to the comments list.

As for gathering facts, let me recollect:

> After all our attempts without being seriously listened by
> the working group, our only choice was to go for an "unofficial"
> channel: a scientific conference. But not only that. Since we
> really wanted to be heard this time, we needed to use a
> provocative title, and provide a really carefully written paper.
> Just after publishing a paper in a top conference, and with a
> provocative title, the group seriously considered our opinion,
> and actually started a (private) small discussion with us.

1) It is imprecise that we engaged in a discussion
only after the paper was published, rather we did so upon
their public comment [1].

2) Also, we did not react based on the title of
their paper, but obviously based on the content of the comment/paper.

3) Further, as far as I can see, we *did* reply to *all* their
comments. It might be true that responding took us a while,
but the claim that attempts weren't seriously listened
to by the working group are IMO not justified.

Apart from that, and leaving aside any negative feelings raised by
such a way of commenting, as mentioned earlier, it could be a good
idea to engage in a direct discussion (e.g. invite *all* parties
interested in the topic to a joint telco where we could hopefully clear
out misunderstandings once and for all) to avoid further
unjustified "conspiracy theories" as in the blog post response.

Opinions on that?

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2012Jan/0009.html