Copyright of test materials

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:12:36 +0000
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Sandro (as W3C team),

1/ Copyright status

I am trying to pin down the copyright status of our test materials.  It
is necessary for redistributing the test materials, and even just taking
a copy into a publicly accessible source code repository.

The license, and intent, is clear as is the requirement to display a
NOTICE in or close to the material ([1] bullet 1).

What I have failed to track down is a formal statement on the position
on copyright.  If a employee of company X, who is signed up to the WG,
provides a test, is that test the property of W3C or company X?  And,
specifically, where is this stated?

2/ Copyright labelling

Reading the Software Notice and License, I think we should be making a
declaration in the test area, maybe the manifest as well.  And maybe
each file should include a copyright statement - what is normal (and
correct) practice?

	Andy

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231