Re: Escape sequences (SPARQL and Turtle)

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 20:10:11 +0000
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
I've updated comment RC-4 to reflect the proposal to add character
escape sequences to the local part of prefix names and also the addition
of %-encoded hex sequences as an "at risk" feature as in:

and detailed in:

The RDF-WG has resolved to add character escapes.  Other matters are
still pending.

We should make a SPARQL-WG resolution for this change:

Proposed 1 (the RDF-WG wording)
The set of character escapes for the local part of prefix names is
~.-!$&'()*+,;=:/?#@%_ (token: PN_LOCAL); i.e., the set of URI-legal,
non-alphanumerics (path, query and fragment).

Proposed 2 (%-encoded sequences)
Allow character sequences of the form "% HEX HEX" in the local part of
prefixed names.  (token: PN_LOCAL)

URIs require non-ASCII characters to be %-encoded (RDF 3987) it can
rather inconvenient to write the <>-form all the time, especially as
there can be only one BASE in force at the time.

Being "at risk", means I feel we can publish.  Leaving a choice in an LC
publication is going to mean some implementation may choose the one that
does not happen and so not implement the standard one; LC is supposed to
be that design decisions have been made.

Paul - I've updated comment response RC-4 based on these proposals and
the fact that unicode processing does not change.