Re: Summary of (substantive) change requests from post-LC comments

On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Chime Ogbuji wrote:

> == SJ-1 ==
>
> There was a request to add a requirement that ALL methods return the ETag or Last-Modified value of the current state of the resource. I think this is a bit much to request of all applications and the paragraph before 5.1 Status Codes already encourages the use of cache control headers with appropriate references

While I agree with the spirit of the suggestion, I would object to making this a requirement. I think the specifics of how to do this naturally falls out of from the relevant specs, but forcing implementations to do etag/last-modified headers seems like a big burden.

.greg