Re: Partial draft: CommentResponse:RC-4

On Sep 20, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>> This draft says:
>>
>> """ Security is one reason for making this distinction. A complete
>> and compliant implementation of SPARQL Query offered at an endpoint
>> will reject updates (whether this escape change is made or not)
>> because they do not parse as queries. """
>>
>> I'm concerned about this text and the implication that a "complete
>> and compliant" implementation couldn't accept (as an extension of the
>> spec) an update request through the same mechanism as a query request
>> (through an API or the protocol). Is preventing such an extension the
>> intention of the spec?
>
> It's not the intention: the draft response says
>
> "A complete and compliant implementation of SPARQL Query"
>
> to try to emphasis the _query service_ rejecting queries that look like updates.  It's only talking about an unextended service.
>
> It does not say anything about a combined service, offering query and update facilities (with different URL query parameter presumably) which is what I think you are referring to.  Whether you want to call that two services, at a common endpoint or extended service is as much one of style because we don't define such a thing.

OK, this makes me feel better. I was actually thinking of a service which would provide both query and update through the same URL parameter, but any of these options are relevant to this discussion.

> Is there some rewording that can be done?

Yes. Let me think on it a bit and I'll try to help clarify the text to address my concerns.

thanks,
.greg