Re: rdf dataset parameters in protocol for sparql update

On 16/08/11 03:11, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> 1/ The parameters are called using-graph-uri and using-named-graph-uri
>
> 2/ If at least one value for one of the parameters is present, then the
> protocol parameters fully define the RDF dataset that is used for the
> query pattern matching (WHERE clause) of all operations in the update
> request. That is, they fully replace all USING and USING NAMED clauses
> in the request's operations.
>
> A third way of stating this: the semantics of including at least one of
> using-graph-uri and using-named-graph-uri is the equivalent of doing the
> following:
>
> A) Remove all USING clauses from the request.
> B) Remove all USING NAMED clauses from the request.
> C) For each using-graph-uri=u in the protocol request
> For each INSERT/DELETE/INSERT DELETE operation in the request
> Add "USING u" to the operation
> D) For each using-named-graph-uri=u in the protocol request
> For each INSERT/DELETE/INSERT DELETE operation in the request
> Add "USING NAMED u" to the operation
>

> Protocol says nothing further about the semantics of these parameters --
> everything else is based on the semantics already given for USING and
> USING NAMED in SPARQL 1.1 Update. This includes things like whether
> "USING x" mentioned repeatedly in an update request refers to a mutable
> graph or a graph as retrieved from the Web; this includes things like
> the interaction between these parameters and WITH.
>
> Our options at this point:
>
> + Discuss any questions
> + Consider any alternative proposals
> + Consider dropping these parameters altogether
> + Consider adopting this proposal

This does not address my concern that an update of several operations
may have different USING clauses in different operations.  Overridding
any USING, and changing operations that don't mention USING, makes it,
to me, a different situation to query.  The structure of the update
request is changed.

Proposal: allow using-graph-uri and using-named-graph-uri in the
protocol if the operations of the request do not have any mention of
USING/USING NAMED.  (A condition on uniform use of USING/USING NAMED
seems overly complicated.)