Re: Service or graph store naming.

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:04:46 +0000
To: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
CC: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On 14/02/11 16:49, Gregory Williams wrote:
> I'm strongly opposed to having service URLs in both the subject and
> object of an sd:url triple.

Agreed - I think its confusing a service (abstract concept - sd:Service)
and a service endpoint (service instance).

> I'm willing to discuss the use case of
> having multiple URLs for an endpoint (for which sd:url would be one
> solution), but Steve's use cases which helped inform my design of
> that predicate seems to be moot at this point. Does anyone else have
> specific use cases for needing to know that several services
> (available at different URLs) are in fact the same underlying service
> (with the same "features" such as query/update support, functions,
> datasets, etc.) without resorting to the use of owl:sameAs? Dropping
> sd:url would make that difficult, but I'm not sure anybody is
> claiming to need that ability.

The service is replicated (to spread load, better latency by being
close, etc) - relying on rotating DNS would mean the path at all points
would need to be the same.  Think of it more like download mirroring.

This means there is
<myService> a sd:Service ; sd:url </sparql2> , </sparql2>

:sd:url has domain service and range endpoint.

maybe:
"""
3.2.1 sd:url

The service URL of an sd:Service supporting the SparqlQuery interface.
The object of the sd:url property is a URI reference
"""
==>
"""
The service URL of an sd:Service supporting the SparqlQuery interface.
The object of the sd:url property is a URL for a service endpoint.
"""