Re: BIND tests

> > BIND can end a BGP, and that makes entailment work when it's just
> > "outside the BGP". It can't end a group.
>
> Why can't it? Again, I'm not saying I prefer that it does (I advocated
> the other semantics originally), but I don't understand why this isn't a
> plausible design choice. SPARQL 1.0 has one way to end a (logical) group
> - a right-curly brace. SPARQL 1.1 could have two ways (right-curly brace
> and BIND). Again, i'm not saying I prefer this, but I don't see why it's
> not an option.

Hmmm, looking at Section 5.2 Group Graph Patterns ... Here it says:

"In a SPARQL query string, a group graph pattern is delimited with braces:
{}."

i.e., if we'd consider that option (I have no preference either, but also no other proposal to resolve
this problem), we would need to say here that BINDs actually implicitly "splits up" groups...

Just as a concrete attempt to do so, could we implement this option by

1) adding a subsection right before "5.2.2 Scope of Filters"
something along the lines of the following text:

  5.2.2 Group Graph Patterns and BIND

  Note that BIND assignments (see Section 10.1 BIND: Assigning to variables) implicitly split up groups.
  That is, any Group Graph Pattern that contains a BIND form

    {  ... BIND ( Expr AS Var) ... }

  where the 'BIND' keyword is not preceeded by a group graph pattern only within the same group
  is to be treated as a shortcut for

    {{ ... } BIND ( Expr AS Var) ... }

I admit the text is pretty ugly... the line

  "where the 'BIND' keyword is not preceeded by a group graph pattern only within the same group"

is basically needed to avoid that the definition of the shortcut applies "infinitely"

2) changing in section 10.1 BIND: Assigning to variables from

The BIND form allows an value to be assigned to a variable in a group graph pattern. Use of BIND
is a separate element of a group graph pattern and it ends any basic graph pattern, including ending the
scope of any filters.

The BIND form allows a value to be assigned to a variable in a group graph pattern. Use of BIND
is splits up the group graph pattern as described in Section <a href="...">5.2.2 Group Graph Patterns and BIND</a> above.

would that do the trick?

best,
Axel