Re: BIND tests

On 1/24/2011 4:33 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 24/01/11 03:22, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> This mail discharged my ACTION-371
>> (http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/track/actions/371), to look at the bind
>> tests.
>>
>> I looked over the 7 tests in
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/tests/data-sparql11/bind/ and
>> believed them to be accurate and reasonable coverage of the BIND keyword.
>>
>> I added one new test, bind08, which I believe tests correctly the fact
>> that BIND occurs _after_ a group is ended, and hence a FILTER appearing
>> before BIND cannot act on the BINDed variables. This is the test:
>>
>> == query ==
>>
>> PREFIX : <http://example.org/>
>>
>> SELECT ?s ?p ?o ?z
>> {
>> ?s ?p ?o .
>> FILTER(?z = 3 )
>> BIND(?o+1 AS ?z)
>> }
>>
>> == results ==
>>
>> (no solutions)
>>
>> Can someone please check the truth of this test? I don't have a BIND
>> implementation to test this with at the moment. Also, if you feel that
>> this should not be the semantics of BIND as the WG agreed on a couple of
>> months ago, please let us know.
>>
>> Once this test has been looked at, I'd like to propose that we approve
>> these 8 bind tests either this Tuesday or (more likely) one week from
>> Tuesday.
>>
>> Lee
>
> Unfortunately, we missed that the WG agreement is at odds with SPARQL
> 1.0 [1]
>
> In SPARQL 1.0, a filter applies to the whole group, where "group" means
> syntax units between the {}.
>
> Andy
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#scopeFilters
>
> [[
> A constraint, expressed by the keyword FILTER, is a restriction on
> solutions over the whole group in which the filter appears.
> ]]

Well, I think that it's less that it changes that part of SPARQL 1.0 and
more that it provides a new way to mark the end of the group. (BIND is
effectively the equivalent of "} {".) Still, it clearly makes for some
weirdness, which is what bind08 is showing.

We discussed exactly bind08 at
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2010-11-02#BIND_and_FILTER_order_execution,
and there was consensus that this is the behavior that we want, so while
it is a strange new way to mark the end of the group (and start of a new
group), I don't think it's a decision we ought to revisit now...

Lee