Re: SPARQL Update / editorial

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:29:43 +0000
To: Alexandre Passant <alexandre.passant@deri.org>

On 11/01/11 14:56, Alexandre Passant wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2011, at 14:48, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> Editorial: so it does not get lost:
>>
>> These are all the same operation, in different guises:
>>

> Do you mean there should be a single grammar for DELETE/INSERT that could accommodate the 3 patterns ?

There is the grammar (and has to be because common leading tokens).

[42]   	Modify 	  ::=
( 'WITH' IRIref )? ( DeleteClause InsertClause? | InsertClause )
UsingClause* 'WHERE' GroupGraphPattern

I found that the text is inconsistent - wanted to make sure it wasn't lost.

The formal update grammar has mandatory WHERE because (IIRC) that was
what the design was intended to me.

>> { modify_template [ modify_template ]* } should probaly be just [modify_template]* because when generated by programs, it's easier to allow the null pattern.
>
> That's fine with me. Have you fixed that in the grammar ?

Checking ... yes.

You can try the grammar at http://www.sparql.org/update-validator.html