Re: WSDL and POSTing SPARQL Update requests directly

On 03/01/11 15:13, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 5:22 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>

>> On 24/12/10 19:21, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>>> The first topic we discussed on the protocol teleconference was the
>>> content of an HTTP request for the SPARQL Update Protocol. The consensus
>>> was as listed at
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Protocol#What_do_you_send_for_a_SPARQL_update_request.3F
>>>

>>> :
>>>
>>> """
>>> PROPOSED: SPARQL Update requests can be POSTed as either
>>> application/x-www-form-urlencoded or application/sparql-update, pending
>>> discovery of how to do the latter in WSDL 2
>>> """
>>>
>>> The first half is the analog to SPARQL query. In that case, you send an
>>> HTTP request like
>>>
>>> POST /foo/bar/sparql HTTP/1.1
>>>
>>> default-graph-uri=...&named-graph-uri=...&named-graph-uri=...&update=<URL
>>>
>>> encoded
>>> update request string>
>>
>> I'm not sure what &default-graph-uri= and &named-graph-uri= mean for an
>> SPARQL Update request.
>
> On the protocol teleconference, we discussed that they would define the
> RDF dataset against which graph patterns are evaluated -- a la USING and
> USING NAMED, as you say below.

My other reading was a protocol argument for WITH.

Would better names be:

-- same as WITH
default-graph-uri
   or
with-graph-uri

-- same as USING
using-graph-uri

-- same as USING NAMED
using-named-graph-uri

Something to make it clear it is not the graph store being affected for
the "using" ones.

For what semantics, in a query request, there is only one query and only
one possible dataset description.  But in an update request there can be
several operations, some with WITH, some without, and some with USING
some without.

Do the parameters override all the operations?  This makes more sense to
me but it does seem like a choice point in the design - anther choice
would be override if there were no USING etc and keeping if an explicit
USING, despite that being different to query but query is different
because it can't have mixed combinations in one request.