Re: JSON Results doc : First complete draft ready

On 17/05/11 14:23, Axel Polleres wrote:
> Just to understand the issue about warnings/comments...
>
>>> Are there any examples of system that do add anything to the JSON format?
>>
>> Yeah, 4store apparently, it adds a "warnings": block after "results":, and puts an array of strings there: https://github.com/garlik/4store/blob/master/src/frontend/results.c#L1909
>>
>> I'm not sure who did that, but it's quite a good idea!
>
> Wouldn't that be non-conformant/problematic with the current spec?
>
> As a work-around,  could we allow to "add more keys" on top-level, i.e. do we/could we
> (i) state somewhere that adding keys except "results","boolean" on top level is allowed
> and (ii) give "warnings:" block from 4store as an (informative) example?
>
> Axel

(i) is just as non-conformant to the Note/spec.

Given the discussions awhile ago about the format of error messages, so
they can be processed and displayed to people or used by software to act
on them (and also language issues), I think any loose, under-constrained
feature merely begs the question of format.  An example in a spec is
tantamount to specification.

So, at most, note other keys may be present, or leave as-is.

	Andy

> On 17 May 2011, at 12:05, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> On 2011-05-17, at 11:40, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>
>>> Edits done.

>>> Example added, text reworded.

>>> Tricky.
>>>
>>> The XML comments aren't an XML element - different processing model - and can go anywhere.
>>>
>>> I support there is nothing to stop an implementation adding "_comment" or "_warning" or etc if it wants to.
>>>
>>> We would have to define where it can go.
>>>
>>> We can:
>>> 1/ Leave the doc as-is - maximum backwards compatibility
>>> 2/ Define a key or keys and add some general text about it can go in any object.