Re: SPARQL 1.1 Update Review (part 1)

On 05/04/11 06:35, Paul Gearon wrote:
>>> [**] Operations are executed in lexical order.

>> >  * Open: not sure how to address that, any rewording proposals?
> Unless I misunderstand something, then I think we may be interpreting
> the term "operation" in different ways. I refer to a complete
> INSERT/DELETE/WHERE as a single operation, for instance. The ordering
> of each individual part of that operation is certainly not lexical. Am
> I correct in saying that you (Andy) are referring to each part as an
> "operation"? (part = WHERE, or INSERT, or DELETE)
>
> If I'm wrong, can you clarify it for me please? Are you able to give
> an example where "operations" are executed in a different order to
> their appearance in a request?

I mean "Operations" as you do.

Order of operations matters:

INSERT DATA { :s :p :o }
DELETE DATA { :s :p :o }

is not the same as the reverse.

Is there anywhere that says this?

There ought to be a

Definition: Update Request
Update request = sequence of update operations [op_i]

eval(request) = affect of eval(operation op_i) for i = 1 to N

(aside: we have "Abstract Update Operation" -- what's abstract about it?)

	Andy