Re: Call for issues and comment on JSON result format

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 09:08 -0800, Gregory Williams wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
> > This message is collect any issues and comments on the DAWG Note:
> >
> > "Serializing SPARQL Query Results in JSON"
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-json-res/
> >
> > Please reply to this message with any issues on this Note within one week so we can assess the practical implications of taking this through to REC as part of this working group.
>
> I wanted to ask whether there'd be any support for adding JSONP[1] to the json results format. This would probably also involve the Protocol doc. It would allow easier use of sparql from within browsers. I'm not sure how prevalent support currently is, but I believe both ARC and Joseki currently implement JSONP.
>
> .greg
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON#JSONP

I'm not an expert in this, but as I understand it, JSONP will be
obsolete when CORS is adopted by enough browsers.  I guess I lean toward
including it, but with some words about the security problems is raises
and its expected obsolescence.  As I understand it, the big problem with
JSONP is that you go from merely trusting that the endpoint is giving
you the data you want, to trusting it completely (within the sandbox of
the app itself).   Since there are lots of apps that don't really care
if they are subverted, and the alternatives are difficult or not yet
available, JSONP is quite useful.

     -- Sandro