Re: Proposed change to the OWL-2 Direct Semantics entailment regime

From: Guido Vetere <gvetere@it.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 18:00:31 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
> [...]
> I'm still interested in talking with such people regardless of the group
outcome.

Hi everybody,
Enrico told me that you might want to hear from implementers about the
distinguished\non-distinguished variables debate.

I've not been able to go through the entire thread and to thoughtfully
consider the entire question. But I can tell you that we are implementing
an OWL2-QL+UNA engine here at my center, mainly for data integration
purposes (please refer to Cangialosi et al. Accessing Data Through
Ontologies with ONDA, Proc. CASCON 2010 for a preliminary exposition).

Actually, we do support conjunctive queries with non-distinguished
variables. Also, we did some practical experience with users, including
Banca d'Italia (the Italian Central Bank) by integrating legacy databases,
and I can tell you that, in general, customers find conjunctive queries a
pretty nice way for accessing data through ontologies.

We don't use SPARQL as a query language (we adopt a datalog-style syntax
instead) but we might support (some) SPARQL as a front-end in the future,
as long as it does not misses relevant features. I cannot tell if making
all variable distinguished would definitely prevent form covering some
relevant use case. However, I don't see a compelling reason to inhibit
non-distinguished variables, provided that supporting this feature would
be up to implementers. After all, not all SPARQL features are going be
supported by all implementers, I guess.

Hope that helps, and thank you for your great job.

Cordiali Saluti, Best Regards,

Guido Vetere
Manager & Research Coordinator, IBM Center for Advanced Studies Rome
-----------------------
IBM Italia S.p.A.
via Sciangai 53, 00144 Rome,
Italy
-----------------------
mail:     gvetere@it.ibm.com
phone: +39 06 59662137
mobile: +39 335 7454658

IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
Cap. Soc. euro 384.506.359,00
C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)