Re: Details of string operations

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:47:57 +0000
Cc: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
On 2010-12-04, at 20:25, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>> I see where you're coming from, but you could equally write CONCAT(?var1, " ->  "^^xsd:string, ?var2), if you cared about the distinction for some reason.
>
> The two cases I think matter are (when no lang tags around):
> 1/ All the data is simple literals
> 2/ All the data is xsd:strings
>
> Making the output of CONCAT(?var1, " ->  ", ?var2) when ?var1 and ?var2 are xsd:strings means that this form works for both cases.

I think there's a word missing from the sentence?

>> CONCAT(plain, anything) -> plain
>> CONCAT(string, string) -> string
>
> CONCAT(simple, anything) -> anything

But if CONCAT(plain, string) gives plain, you don't need that case, it falls out naturally as "simple" literals are a subset of plain.

> "plain" is two cases: simple and with-lang and we have lang-compatibility rules. Treat lang tags like datatypes (which is OK because you can't have lang and a real datatype).

Lang tags complicate things, certainy, but they shouldn't affect the type.

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
1-3 Halford Road, Richmond, TW10 6AW, UK
+44 20 8439 8203  http://www.garlik.com/