Comments on SPARQL 1.1 Update (4)

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:30:41 +0100
To: SPARQL Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
This comment is about the design of the update language syntax, not the
document itself.

In Turtle and N-triples, simple concatenation of files (except for
implicit base IRI in Turtle and local bNode naming) results in a single,
combined data file that is legal Turtle / N-Triples.  The thing in
Turtle that makes this possible is that @prefix and @base can appear
anywhere between triple specifications and defines prefixes or base IRI
from that point on in the file.  This isn't a widely used feature as far
as I know but it's useful at times.

SPARQL Update does not have this property.  Currently, the prologue of
BASE and PREFIX must be the first thing in the request.

For query, where one query per request (file or POST) is the only
supported form, it makes no difference.

For update, there can be several update operations per request, so
assembling them from fragments in different files by simple
concatentation might be useful.

This is more important for update since one request should be atomic so
the composition of fragments is atomic.

Is it worth making this change to the grammar while we still can?  I
don't see any downside at the moment.