Re: Shortcuts in Update

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:53:56 +0100
Cc: "Passant, Alexandre" <alexandre.passant@deri.org>, "Lee Feigenbaum" <lee@thefigtrees.net>, "SPARQL Working Group" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com>
> There is a correspondence to the RESTful operations where the shortcut
> operations uses graphs in the store as source while the REST operations
> use the message body.
>
> "Set contents to"  : PUT : COPY (and LOAD)
> "Append data"      : POST : ADD
> "Remove"           : DELETE : DROP
> "Rename"           : PUT then DELETE : MOVE

side remark: if we adopt that, that would also mean we should also change the explaining queries now used in http-rdf-update to these shortcuts, such as:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/http-rdf-update/#http-put

yes?

On 21 Jul 2010, at 14:46, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 19/07/2010 3:17 PM, Alexandre Passant wrote:
> > Well, besides the temporal graphs use-case, I'm indeed seeing these operations as an easy way to aggregate / transmit data from / between different graphs.
> >
> > E.g. :
> >
> > I want to add dbpedia data into my default graph: "ADD<http://dbpedia.org/data/SPARQL>  INTO DEFAULT"
> > Then, I want to create a new DEFAULT graph every X days, but keep the previous state somewhere (overall and per-period). "
> > COPY DEFAULT INTO<http://example.org/backup>
> > MOVE DEFAULT INTO<http://example.org/timestamp>
> > "
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > I still believe that these shortcuts (as pointed out by Andy, coming from known shell command), might reduce the learning curve for such use-cases.
> >
> > Alex.
> >

> There is a correspondence to the RESTful operations where the shortcut
> operations uses graphs in the store as source while the REST operations
> use the message body.
>
> "Set contents to"  : PUT : COPY (and LOAD)
> "Append data"      : POST : ADD
> "Remove"           : DELETE : DROP
> "Rename"           : PUT then DELETE : MOVE

side remark: if we adopt that, that would mean we should also change the explaining queries now used in http-rdf-update to these shortcuts, such as: