Re: Signalling entailment in queries

From: Alexandre Passant <alexandre.passant@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:11:30 +0100
Cc: "Gregory Williams" <greg@evilfunhouse.com>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>, "Birte Glimm" <birte.glimm@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "SPARQL Working Group" <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
To: Chimezie Ogbuji <ogbujic@ccf.org>

On 21 Jul 2010, at 02:44, Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:

> Comments inline below
>
> On 7/20/10 5:13 PM, "Gregory Williams" <greg@evilfunhouse.com> wrote:
>> I've always considered it a feature that an endpoint could use entailment on
>> the underlying data and the user would use the same query syntax. I'd be very
>> hesitant about a syntax that requires the user to specify an entailment regime
>> to use, especially if the system only supports one entailment regime and will
>> throw an error if you request others.
>
> I don't think the user has to specify an entailment regime, but they should
> be able to and there should be some order of precedence that determines
> which is used (in the same way we do with datasets).  It seems okay for the
> server to throw an error if an unsupported entailment regime is requested.

+1
We currently have sd:supportedEntailment in the SD vocabulary - so sd:defaultEntailment would probably make sense.
-> User retrieves the endpoint's SD so can check if he's happy with the default one, or wants to apply another regime to the query.

Yet, there is still a need to figure out how this can be specified.
[1] seems indeed to be out of scope, but there was complex use-cases in there (RULESET, ontologies, etc.).
What about a limited set of available RULESET patterns ? (RDFS, etc.)

Alex.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:ParameterizedInference

--
Dr. Alexandre Passant