Re: SPARQL Update feature

On 13/07/2010 1:25 PM, Steve Harris wrote:
> On 2010-07-13, at 11:46, Alexandre Passant wrote:
>
> [ snip, all looks good to me ]
>
>> We initially thought that ALL includes also the default graph, but that will be a problem for removing all named graphs but not the default one (not sure that will happen so often, yet)
>> So better to have ALL = all named graphs, which leads to the following to clean the store
>>
>> DROP ALL
>> DROP DEFAULT
>>
>> or
>>
>> DROP ALL
>> CLEAR DEFAULT
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> I prefer DROP/CLEAR ALL does everything, including the default graph. "ALL" implies that to me.

I'm comfortable with that.

Another possibility for completeness: a special form like

RESET STORE

that then puts it outside the issue of whether ALL is all named graphs
or all graphs.

> If I really want to leave the named graph, and CLEAR the others I can do that with:
>
> DELETE WHERE { GRAPH ?g { ?x ?y ?z } }
>
> Admittedly there's no DROP equivalent, for graphs that don't do empty graph culling, but that's well into corner cases AFAIC.

It's not a corner case for me - some implementations are quite happy
with empty graphs and they don't naturally get culled.  Such grah stores
are a collection of graphs, not stored in a common quad table.

> Otherwise, you could add a "GRAPH *" like syntax, meaning all named graphs, but I predict that users would confuse GRAPH * and ALL a lot.

Maybe - I'm more comfortable with DROP GRAPH *. With an explicit use of
GRAPH, and DEFAULT (not GRAPH DEAFULT) it makes sense and is
explainable.  At least "DROP GRAPH *" does not destroy data that the
user didn't want addressed.

 Andy