From: Andy Seaborne <afs@talisplatform.com>
To: Polleres, Axel
Cc: ivan@w3.org <ivan@w3.org>; public-rdf-dawg@w3.org <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Sent: Fri Mar 05 09:06:09 2010
Subject: D-enatilment and canonicalization

On 05/03/2010 8:45 AM, Polleres, Axel wrote:
> In my opinion this is a question concerning all entailments from D-entailment "upwards".

There are 2 cases for value aware systems and there are examples of
systems in each case:

1/ Data "1.00"^^xsd:decimal,
    stores "1.00"^^xsd:decimal,
    matches "1.0"^^xsd:decimal,
    matches "1.00"^^xsd:decimal,
    returns "1.00"^^xsd:decimal

i.e. the original term is stored and returned

2/ Data "1.00"^^xsd:decimal,
    stores "1.0"^^xsd:decimal,
    matches "1.0"^^xsd:decimal
    matches "1.00"^^xsd:decimal (canonicialization applied)
    returns "1.0"^^xsd:decimal

i.e. the canonicalized term is stored and returned

See also "1"^^xsd:byte and "1"^^xsd:integer

I avoided describing them as D-entailment because that really is a set
of possibilities depending on the datatypes supported and ranges of
values within the datatypes.  They don't necessarily force D-consistency.

 Andy

Examples:
1 - Jena memory model
2 - Jena TDB