Re: Test framework for Update

Hi Andy,

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:46 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@talis.com> wrote:

> The work was done by several of us (DanBri, Libby ...) then adopted by DAWG
> (Steve, Lee, Jeen), Eric added annotation support for noting intersting
> facts and the rdf:type got added (syntax test, bad synatx test, query test).
>
> mf:entries
>   (
>     [  mf:name    "Path-01" ;
>        rdf:type   mfx:TestQuery ;
>        mf:action
>        [ qt:query  <path-01.arq> ;
>          qt:data   <data-1.ttl> ] ;
>        mf:result  <path-01.srx>
>     ]
>
> The structure of tests needs tweaking but it is basically there:
> action-result, where the action has query-specific vocab for dataset
> description and the query itself.

Ah yes. I have ample experience with this, having implemented my own
framework for parsing these tests and running them.

The issue here is that it is not (yet) adequate for updates, hence the question.

> What could work for update is the same overall theme:
>
> graph store - update script - result

We're thinking along similar lines, though I was thinking more of:

graph document - update operation(s) - graph document
  or
graph document - update operations(s) - [ query + result ]

> where the result is an NQuads file (lowest implementation cost).  The
> dataset description would work for a graph store, I think, including empty
> graphs (with care).
>
> You can get to all the scripted test via:
>
> http://jena.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jena/ARQ/trunk/testing/ARQ/
>
> but there isn't scripted support for update.

Darn. I was hoping you'd have something for testing SPARUL that we
could build on. So I take it that this hasn't been automated?

Regards,
Paul Gearon