Re: ISSUE-54: Do we need (descriptions of) property functions in SD? Is this in scope for us?

On 2/16/2010 11:52 AM, Paul Gearon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM, SPARQL Working Group Issue Tracker
> <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>  wrote:
>>
>> ISSUE-54: Do we need (descriptions of) property functions in SD? Is this in scope for us?
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/track/issues/54
>
> I believe that we want this.
>
> The scope of what property functions are capable of is essentially
> unrestricted, so I don't think it's possible to really describe what
> these functions do. However, it should be possible to obtain a list of
> properties that fall into this category. As a user I would find that
> useful in two ways:
>
> 1. I'd know that using this property in a query, or getting it back in
> a result involves entailed data, and not just extensional data.
> 2. If I happen to recognize a property from the list, I will know that
> a particular feature will be available to me.

I'd be surprised if anyone disagrees that this is useful.

However, I have no idea how we would specify it in the service
description document. How would we define a property/class that
describes something that is not itself defined anywhere? The only way I
see to do it is to define what a property function is, and that's beyond
our scope.

Lee